Character & Citizenship Department
Geylang Methodist School ( Primary )
Character and Citizenship Development Programme ( CCE )
In GMSP, the goal of the CCE programme is to develop responsible and compassionate Leaders who are guided by Christian principles,
global in outlook but rooted in Singapore.
CCE is central to the framework for the 21st Century Competencies and Student Outcomes. ( Refer to Figure below) It emphasises the interconnectedness of the core values , social and emotional competencies and civic literacy , global awareness and cross-cultural skills that are crucial for character and citizenship development in our pupils.
The following are the eight CCE Learning Outcomes:
1. Develop self-awareness and self-management skills to achieve personal well-being and effectiveness.
2. Apply moral reasoning, display responsibility in decision-making, and demonstrate integrity to stand by moral principles and shared values.
3. Develop social awareness and demonstrate interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive relationships.
4. Demonstrate resilience in the face of individual, community and national challenges, and develop the ability to turn challenges to opportunities.
5. Appreciate our national identity, develop a sense of belonging to Singapore, and demonstrate commitment to the well-being, security and defence of the nation.
6. Demonstrate socio-cultural sensitivity and promote social cohesion and harmony in Singapore as a multi-cultural society.
7. Demonstrate care for others and contribute actively towards improving the lives of others to build a bright future for ourselves and to progress together as one nation.
8. Demonstrate the ability to reflect on and respond to community, national and global issues, and to make informed and responsible decisions as a citizen.
The teaching and learning of CCE is guided by the following four key principles:
1) Every Teacher A CCE Teacher
a) Teachers will role model and create learning opportunities to shape and instil in every student the core values. They will develop in each of the pupils a sense of self- worth and confidence, a spirit of resilience , care and compassion for others.
b) Teachers will take ownership of their professional development to equip themselves with the expertise and competencies to nurture every student to become an active citizen of good character.
2) Values are both taught and caught
a) Values are taught when they are explicitly expressed through the knowledge and skills encapsulated in the CCE learning outcomes.
b) Values are caught when pupils see values lived out in different learning experiences, first in the role models and significant adults to the, then in their own lives
c) The quality of teacher- student relationship and a caring environment will be essential to the character of the students
3) Engaging Students through varied modes of delivery
a) Students learnt values through instruction, skills practice ,role modeling by teachers and peers and positive
reinforcement during lesson time and teachable moments.
b) Teachers will also provide learning experiences such as the four core events, VIA, co-curricular activities for the learning
and application of values, knowledge, skills and attitudes.
4) Parents as key parents
a) Parents are key navigators of their children’s growth. Students benefit the most when the home and school environments
are attuned to each other.
b) Schools will engage and collaborate with parents to provide the necessary family care, support and reinforcement at
c) Effective communication of the school’s CCE programme and the provision of platforms for parents’ active involvement in
schools will help parents become engaged partners.
In GMSP, the CCE programme is rooted in the following school values : Love for God, School and Nation , Respect , Integrity, Compassion, Teamwork and Passion for Learning and is supported by equipping the pupils with the following Social and Emotional competencies :
a) Self -Awareness
b) Self- Management
c) Social Awareness
d) Relationship Management
e) Responsible Decision Making.
A whole- school approach programme using the principles of Head ( Knowing ), Heart ( Feeling ) and
Hands(Action ) is delivered through Direct Teaching , Teachable Moments and Infusion as summarized in the CCE